BBQ Tortilla Hot Dog Casserole
BBQ Tortilla Hot Dog Casserole recipe came about in a rather unorthodox way. Tara and I were watching TV the other night and a commercial came on advertising a brand of Tortillas. They zipped through a bunch of pictures during the commercial; there was one that caught both our attention. We rewound the commercial to have a closer look.
Turns out it wasn’t what we thought it was but as we talked about it more this idea developed. This is a really fun dish that kids will love. It is really tasty so you will love it too!! It’s sort of comfort food 101.
The concept is quite simple and easy to put together. It has everything that makes a hot dog taste great, all in one dish! I know that often times people like something different on their “dogs” but, this has something for everyone!
HOW TO MAKE A HOT DOG CASSEROLE
I started by grilling up some jumbo hot dogs. I mean really, what’s the point in making a hot dog casserole with regular sized hot dogs when you can use jumbo dogs! Then I prepared the casserole dish.
I used a ceramic 9 x 13 baking dish and finished the casserole in the oven. You could easily substitute a similar size foil pan and finish it on the grill.
OLD SCHOOL FLAVORS
Using some of the same old A & W Whistle Dog ingredients as a basis for the flavor profile I then mixed up some BBQ sauce and ketchup for the bottom of the dish. On each tortilla I put some green relish, chopped onions, and shredded cheddar cheese.
I then tightly rolled up each tortilla. I used a toothpick to secure the wrap as I didn’t want them unrolling while they baked.
The tortilla replaces the hot dog bun and holds everything together nicely in the casserole dish. After rolling up the 8 dogs and placing them on the layer of sauce I topped it off with the remaining sauce and some more cheesy goodness.
Of course, it wouldn’t be complete without some crispy crumbled bacon on top!
Ready to finish
Now you simply bake it until the cheese is melted, and just a little browned. The wraps should be slightly browned and the sauce should be just starting to bubble.
Serve it with your favorite side, our daughter is a French fry fiend so we went that route. For a healthier alternative you could easily serve it with a great side salad.
- 8 - 7” flour tortillas
- 8 jumbo hot dogs
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup chopped onion divided
- 1/3 cup relish divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 4 strips of crispy bacon, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives for garnish
- Preheat your grill to medium and grill your hot dogs until you have nice grill marks and they are heated through, remove from the grill and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- In a bowl mix together the BBQ sauce and ketchup.
- Pour 2/3 of the sauce mixture into the casserole dish and spread so that the sauce evenly covers the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle about a tbsp spoon of shredded cheddar cheese in the center of each tortilla. Add about a tsp of relish and 2 tsp of chopped onion.
- Place the grilled hot dog on the tortilla and roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick. Starting at one end, place the hot dog wrap on top of the sauce in the casserole dish.
- Repeat until all the remaining hot dogs are wrapped and lined up in the casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining sauce and cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top and bake for 20 minutes or until the tortillas are lightly browned and the sauce is bubbling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 1566mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 17g