I think one of my favorite meals of all time is a Grilled T-Bone Steak dinner! This T-bone steak recipe has an extra kick! The addition of chipotle cilantro butter in this recipe takes the flavor of the steak from amazing to extraordinary!
If you love grilled steaks as much as I do, you have to try this fabulous grilled Tri-tip Steak; it’s off-the-chart delicious! Or, If you are looking for a sharable dinner idea, why not go all out and cook this steakhouse-quality Grilled Tomahawk Steak? This is the perfect recipe when you are out to impress your family and friends!
In my mind, you can never go wrong if you are grilling a steak to serve for dinner. There is just something about grilling beef over an open flame. It doesn’t matter if you are using fire, charcoal, or a gas grill; beef tastes better cooked this way!
WHAT DO I NEED TO Make Grilled T-Bone Steak?
All you need to create this amazing steak dish is 4 items, plus salt and pepper! Yes, that’s it, and a little up-front planning, of course.
- Butter softened
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- T-bone steaks
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
The grill does a lot of the work to flavor the steaks. The chipotle cilantro butter adds so much to the steaks. It really provides the steak with the proper finish it deserves!
HOW TO MAKE a grilled T-Bone Steak
Start by combining the softened butter, chopped chipotle peppers, and cilantro in a small bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
Lay out a piece of plastic wrap approximately 10 – 12 inches in length on the countertop. Spoon the butter mixture onto the plastic wrap. Roll the butter into a log and twist the ends so that the butter is tightly wrapped. Place the butter log in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. You want the butter to be hard so that it is easy to slice into patties.
Remove the T-bone steaks from the refrigerator about 20 – 30 minutes before you are going to grill them so they can come up to room temperature. Preheat your grill to medium-high, about 400 degrees F.
Generously season both sides of the steaks with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and place the steaks on the preheated grill.
Cook the steaks for 4 – 5 minutes on the first side. While the steak is cooking, remove the chipotle butter from the fridge and slice the butter log into 4 equal patties.
Turn the steaks and place 2 pats of chipotle butter on each steak. Continue to grill the steaks for 4 – 5 minutes or until the steaks reach your desired doneness. You are looking for an internal temperature of about 130 degrees F. for medium rare and 140 degrees F. for medium.
I check the temperature with my Thermoworks Thermapen instant-read thermometer; it works great every time!!
This post contains affiliate links. As a Thermoworks Affiliate, I earn a small portion from qualifying purchases at no extra charge to you.
Serving your Grilled T-Bone steak
Remember, before serving, you will want to make sure that your steaks rest for 5 – 10 minutes. This allows the juices in the meat to be reabsorbed into the meat. If you cut into the steak as soon as you remove it from the grill, all those wonderful juices will end up on your plate rather than remaining inside your steak.
This recipe is really very simple, but in cooking, as with many things in life, the simple things are often the best! I like to serve my t-bone with fries for an elegant yet casual dinner.
- Make sure that your butter is softened before you try to mix it with the chopped chipotle peppers and the chopped cilantro.
- You need to make the butter at least 2 hours ahead so it has time to firm up in the refrigerator. If you are in a pinch, you can put the butter in the freezer for 20 – 30 minutes; this will give you a similar result for the butter.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature before you place them on the grill so they cook more evenly.
- Make sure you allow the steaks to rest for a few minutes after removing them from the grill before slicing and serving.
Pin it HERE!!
Pin it HERE!!
- 1/4 cup of salted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 T-bone steaks
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, chopped chipotle peppers, and fresh cilantro.
- Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap approximately 10 - 12 inches long. Spoon the butter mixture onto the plastic wrap. Roll the butter into a log and twist the ends so the butter is tightly wrapped.
- Place the butter log in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature for 20 – 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat your grill to medium hot, about 400 degrees F.
- Season both sides of each steak generously with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place the steaks on the preheated grill and cook for 4 – 5 minutes on the first side.
- While the steaks are cooking, slice the butter log into 4 equal pieces.
- Turn the steaks and place 2 pats of butter on each steak.
- Continue to grill for 4 – 5 minutes or until the steaks reach your desired doneness. Check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Grill to 130 degrees F. for medium rare and 140 degrees F. for medium.
- Allow the steaks to rest for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes, like baked potatoes or fries and cauliflower with cheese sauce.
If you need to speed up the cooling of the butter, you can place the chipotle cilantro butter in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
GRILLART BBQ Tools Grill Tools Set - 18Inch Grilling Tools BBQ Set - Grill Accessories w/BBQ Tongs, Spatula, Fork, Brush - Stainless Grill Kit Grilling Set - Gift Ideas BBQ Accessories, Gifts for Men
Char-Broil 463354021 Performance 4-Burner Cabinet Style Liquid Propane Gas Grill, Stainless Steel
John Boos Block BBQBD Reversible Maple Wood Edge Grain BBQ Cutting Board with Juice Groove, 18 Inches x 12 Inches x 1.5 Inches
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 429mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 22g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust