Hickory Smoked Mixed Nuts
Adding a great smoky flavor to Hickory Smoked Mixed Nuts is super simple. You can pull this recipe together very quickly. Toss it in the smoker for a couple of hours and voila you have a tray of tasty smoked nuts for a snack or party.
We always have a variety of nuts around the house. We like to have them out in a bowl for guests.
Whether you are chatting over a cocktail before dinner or having the gang over to watch the game everyone loves to grab a handful of nuts to munch on.
Quick and Easy
For this recipe, I used my little electric smoker. It is quick to set up as you don’t have to wait for the coals to heat. If I was smoking something else I would simply put my slotted foil pan of nuts on for a couple of hours while the smoker was going.
It will give you an easy snack to serve before the main course. Of course, you could always munch away on these over a cold drink while you tend to your smoker.
I used salted mixed nuts in this recipe. You could use any kind of nuts but I like the mix of almond, pecan, cashew, and hazelnuts. Be careful if you are using salted nuts as the salt content in these is usually quite high. If you are using salted nuts make sure you dial back the amount of salt you add. In this case, I didn’t add any additional salt and they turned out great!
Sweet and Spicy
These smoked nuts are sweet with a little bit of spice. The cayenne pepper and garlic powder add a bit of a kick. As a result, they taste great and add flavor to this wonderful snack.
It’s important to pour the nuts on the foil pan in a single layer. In a pinch, you could make your own slotted foil pan using heavy duty aluminum foil.
I had a contractor and staff doing some work in the house and I put out a bowl of these smoked nuts for them to munch on. They made short work of the nuts and said they were very addictive. They all loved them!
This is also a great make-ahead snack that you can have ready for when company comes in. They won’t believe the wonderful flavor in these Hickory Smoked Mixed Nuts.
- 1 lb Mixed Nuts (salted or unsalted)
- 4 TBSP Melted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TBSP Salt (if your nuts are unsalted)
- Prepare your smoker and bring the temperature up to 235-245 degrees F. You can use any wood chips you like, I used hickory wood chips and they turned out fantastic!
- In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt if needed.
- Toss in the mixed nuts and stir to make sure that they are all coated. Pour the nut mixture on to the slotted foil pan and place nuts in the smoker.
- After 1 hour stir the nuts or mix them by shaking the pan. Return the pan to the smoker and allow them to smoke for the remaining hour.
Serving Size:1/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 818mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 8g