It’s so easy to make Homemade Garlic Bread on your grill or in your oven! This homemade garlic bread is soft and chewy on the inside and wonderfully crispy on the outside. With this recipe, you can make it just before serving or make it ahead of time and freeze it to serve later. You are never going to want to buy store-bought garlic bread ever again!
Looking for some other great recipes to pair with this garlic bread? You need to check out this simply amazing (and simple) Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad! Or this Italian Marinated Smoked Steak!
You can use regular white sourdough loaf, or if you like, you can change it up. Our favorite bakeries are always featuring a special sourdough, from gochujang to red fife; it’s fun to try something a little different.
HELPFUL ITEMS FOR THIS RECIPE
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small portion from qualifying purchases at no extra charge to you.
John Boos Maple Wood Cutting Board
What do you need to make homemade Garlic bread?
As the name implies, you obviously need bread and garlic. But you also need a handful of other ingredients to pull everything together to make it taste amazing.
- Butter softened
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Garlic, minced
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Whole sourdough round loaf
How to make crispy garlic bread
You can make this homemade crispy garlic bread in under an hour with just a handful of ingredients. Start by preheating your grill to medium or about 350 – 375 degrees F leaving one side of the grill cool; only heat one side of your grill. You want to cook the garlic bread using the indirect method so the bottom of the loaf doesn’t burn.
In a small bowl, combine the softened butter, grated parmesan cheese, minced garlic, chopped parsley and chives, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and chili flakes, if using. Make sure that the garlic butter mixture is evenly mixed.
Next, slice the entire sourdough loaf into slices about 1 inch in thickness. Evenly spread a generous amount of the garlic bread spread mixture on one side of each slice of sourdough. Make sure that when you reassemble the loaf that there are not 2 garlic buttered sides together. This will ensure that every bite of the bread will have a great garlic flavor!
Lay out a piece of aluminum foil and reassemble the loaf on the foil. Tightly wrap the foil around the loaf to keep the slices together, making sure that you leave the top open. This will make sure that you get a fantastically crispy crust on your garlic bread.
Place the bread foil package directly on the grill over the cool side and close the lid. Cook for 20 – 25 minutes or until the butter has melted and has been soaked up by the bread.
Remove the loaf from the grill and carefully unwrap the slices from the foil. Lay them out on a cutting board and slice each piece in half. It is best if you serve them while they are still warm and the butter is melty.
Why buy garlic bread at the store?
Garlic bread is so easy to make at home with just a handful of ingredients. Best of all, if you don’t have the exact ingredients, you can always use substitutions.
If you don’t have fresh garlic cloves, you can always use garlic powder. If you have French bread or a sourdough loaf instead of a round loaf, you can still make your own easy homemade garlic bread.
You can even use your oven instead of your grill to cook the garlic toast by simply following the same process. Want your garlic toast a little cheesy? Add some more parmesan or even some shredded cheddar or mozzarella.
Don’t have fresh herbs? You can use dried Italian seasoning. You can even finish your crispy garlic bread slices with a drizzle of olive oil for some extra flavor!
Make your Italian dinners special!
Don’t buy frozen garlic bread! Make it fresh for your family and friends! This easy recipe pairs so perfectly with any dinner you have planned, but it goes especially well with any Italian-inspired dishes. Here we have it with our amazing Stuffed Pasta Shells.
Other recipes like this gorgeous Baked Ravioli Casserole or this wonderfully flavorful, super easy Instant Pot Tortellini Soup with Sausage goes great with garlic bread. You pick the recipe and simply pair this great garlic bread with it. Trust me; you are going to get lots of compliments!
Pin it HERE!!
Pin it HERE!!
Homemade Garlic Bread
This easy homemade garlic bread is easy to prepare using your grill. Best of all, it tastes fantastic and is head and shoulders above any store-bought or frozen garlic bread you can get!
- 1/3 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced, we used jarred as it is milder, if you use fresh garlic I would recommend using less
- 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chives, chopped
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 pinches of crushed red chili flakes, or to taste
- One 16-ounce sourdough round loaf
- Preheat your grill to 375 degrees F. leaving one side of the grill cool and the other side hot (indirect cooking method).
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, grated parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, chives, Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and chili flakes.
- Slice the sourdough loaf into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Evenly spread the butter mixture on one side of each slice of the sourdough and reassemble the loaf.
- Lay out a piece of aluminum foil about 18 inches long and place the reassembled buttered loaf in the center. Fold the end of the foil up to keep the slices together.
- Lay out a second piece of aluminum foil 18 inches long perpendicular to the first and gather the foil up so it cradles the loaf, making sure that you leave the top dome of the loaf uncovered. This will give you a crispy amazing loaf.
- Place the loaf on the cool side of the preheated grill. Close the lid and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the butter has melted and soaked into the bread.
- Remove from the grill and carefully unwrap the foil. Cut the slices in half. Serve immediately.
You can bake the sourdough loaf in the oven. Prepare the loaf exactly as you would on the grill. Place the foil-wrapped loaf on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mama's Great Ultra Sharp Serrated Bread Knife for Homemade Bread with 10.5 Inch Wide Wavy Edge
John Boos Block R03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board, 20 Inches x 15 Inches x 1.5 Inches
Black Pepper Mill Grinder Refillable, JORGTYRA 12 Inch Wood Pepper Mills with Adjustable Stainless Steel Precision Mechanism Suitable for Home, Kitchen, Barbecue, Party
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 464mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust
Leave a Reply