This Smoked Trout Dip is the perfect appetizer to serve family and friends any time of the year! It is made using cream cheese and sour cream; the texture is smooth, and the taste is rich and creamy! Every time I make this recipe, I never have any leftovers; it really is that amazing!
Smoked trout is available at most grocers, butcher shops, and sometimes your local fishmongers today. But if you want to create the best-smoked trout dip in the world, you also will need to smoke your own trout! This fabulous recipe for Smoked Trout is easy to cook and will give your dip a flavor that you can only get by smoking it yourself!
You can make this in advance and chill it in the fridge; it’s so easy. If you are expecting guests or simply want to have something that you can serve at a moment’s notice, this recipe is for you! Keep a bowl in the fridge.
It’s the perfect snack for expected or unexpected guests. But it is also wonderful for something to give the kids after school or to serve to all those hungry game day fans!
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE SMOKED TROUT Dip?
What you will need
- Boneless smoked trout meat – Always make sure it is hot smoked fish, not cold smoked. The fish should be firm and should have a deep, smoky flavor.
- Cream cheese, softened – You can use regular or whipped cream cheese; I prefer regular.
- Sour cream – Make sure you use real sour cream and not sour cream “product”, which is not actually real sour cream at all.
- Scallions, finely chopped – They add a splash of green color to your dip.
- Shallots, finely chopped – Give the dip a mild onion flavor.
- Fresh dill, finely chopped – You can substitute dried dill if you don’t have fresh.
- Celery salt – is an underrated seasoning that I use quite a lot.
- Fresh lemon juice – Fresh juice is best, but you can use bottled lemon juice in a pinch.
- Hot sauce – I like “Franks”, but you can use your favorite sauce.
- Kosher salt – I always use Kosher salt when cooking, never regular table salt.
- Fresh ground pepper – and a few turns of fresh ground pepper will liven up the dish.
How to Make Smoked Trout Dip
Making this smoked trout dip is simplicity itself. Start by adding the smoked trout to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Using a fork or your hands, break up the fish; you want it to be finely shredded.
Next, add the softened cream cheese, sour cream, chopped scallions, chopped shallots, dill, celery salt, lemon juice, and hot sauce.
Mix the dip well until everything is well blended. The mixture should have a nice creamy texture. Taste the dip and adjust the seasonings as needed with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
Cover and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. It is best served chilled with your favorite crackers.
Pin it HERE!!
Pin it HERE!!
- 12 ounces boneless smoked rainbow trout filet meat
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 Tbsp scallions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp shallots, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Dash of your favorite hot sauce
- Pinch of Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Add the trout to a medium bowl. Break up the fish using a fork or with your hands; you want it to be finely shredded.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix with a fork until well blended with a creamy texture.
- Adjust the seasonings with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled with crackers.
You can use other types of smoked fish in this dip. But you will want to make sure that it has a firm texture.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Trader Joe's Smoked Trout Fillets in Oil Skinless 3.9 oz Tin, (6 Pack)
Bamboo Chip and Dip Serving Set - Elegant Chip and Dip Platter with Ceramic Bowl - Easy to Clean Veggie Platter Tray, Veggie and Dip Bowl Suitable for Indoors & Outdoors
Masterbuilt MB20070210 Analog Electric Smoker with 3 Smoking Racks, 30 inch, Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Recipe calculation was provided by Nutritionix and is estimation only. If you need nutritional calculations for medical reasons, please use a source that you trust